Former Bishop Howard J. Hubbard Admitted to Hospital Following Severe Stroke

Former Bishop Howard J. Hubbard Admitted to Hospital Following Severe Stroke
Retired Bushop Hubbard suffered a severe stroke 


Retired Bishop Howard J. Hubbard of Albany is currently hospitalized at Albany Medical Center following a major stroke on August 17. The news of his hospitalization was shared by Albany Bishop Edward B. Scharfenberger on August 18, who called for prayers for Bishop Hubbard's recovery.


In a statement, Bishop Scharfenberger said, "Please pray for Bishop Howard Hubbard. I received news that he is currently hospitalized at Albany Medical Center. Our chaplains have visited him and anointed him. We do not have further detail at this time but will update you as information comes in."


He also offered a message of faith and encouragement, urging the community to "offer prayer, find strength in God, and know that He walks with us." Quoting Isaiah 41:10, he said, "'Do not fear. I am with you: do not be anxious: I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.'"


This unfortunate incident follows a stroke that Bishop Hubbard suffered last year after a minor car accident. It is noteworthy that he had recently revealed his marriage in a civil ceremony, a step he took after the Vatican declined his request to be laicized.


In his statement titled "A Letter to My Dear Colleagues and Friends," dated August 1, Bishop Hubbard shared his journey. He stated, "Last fall, after prayerful consideration and consultation, I applied to the Vatican to be returned to the lay state and to be relieved of my clerical obligations. In March, I received notice from the Vatican that my request had been denied."


He went on to explain his decision to wait patiently and abstain from public ministry due to ongoing legal matters. "I was encouraged to wait patiently and prayerfully and to continue to abstain from public ministry until seven civil lawsuits against me alleging sexual misconduct had been adjudicated," he said.


Bishop Hubbard's life took an unexpected turn as he fell in love and married a supportive woman. "I have fallen in love with a wonderful woman who has helped and cared for me and who believes in me," he expressed. The couple made their commitment official through a civil ceremony in July.


Throughout his career, Bishop Hubbard held significant roles, becoming the youngest bishop in the United States at the age of 38 when he was ordained bishop of Albany in 1977. However, his later years were marked by scandal. Since the enactment of the Child Victims Act on August 14, 2019, which removed the statute of limitations on abuse cases, he faced allegations in seven lawsuits. Despite these claims, Bishop Hubbard has steadfastly denied any involvement in abuse.


The overwhelming number of lawsuits prompted the Diocese of Albany to file for Chapter 11 reorganization on March 15, 2023. The diocese, along with six of the eight other dioceses in New York State, faced financial challenges due to legal claims. Bishop Hubbard's case is further complicated by the fact that he could be in his early 90s by the time these legal matters are resolved.


In March 2022, during deposition testimony made public, Bishop Hubbard was questioned about his response to child sexual abuse allegations during his tenure as bishop. He clarified that he was not a mandated reporter at the time and expressed that he would report such cases today.


As the community joins together in prayer for Bishop Howard J. Hubbard's recovery, his journey continues to be one of faith, challenges, and a commitment to his beliefs.